The Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC) has nominated twenty-two (22) Justices of the Nigerian Court of Appeal for elevation to the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
In a document released by FJSC on Thursday, the list had the name of the chairman of the defunct Presidential Election Petitions Court (PEPC), Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani, who hails from Bauchi State as one of the nominees.
The list of the 22 nominees had been sent to the National Judicial Council (NJC) for ratification and onward recommendation to Nigerian President, Bola Tinubu.
On the list, the North-Central region has six nominees, the South-East region has six nominees also, while the South-West region, the South-South region and the North-East has two nominees each.
It should be noted that Justices Amina Augie and Mohammed Dattijo recently retired leaving the Supreme Court with only 10 serving Justices.
Below is the full list of the 22 nominated Justices:
- Hon Justice Nwaoma Uwa (Abia State) – Priority
1A.Hon Justice Onyekachi Otisi (Abia State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Obande Ogbuinya (Ebonyi State) – Priority
2A. Hon Justice Theresa Orji-Abadua (Imo State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Anthony Ogakwu (Enugu State) – Priority
3A. Hon Justice Chioma Nwosu-lheme (Imo State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Moore Adumein (Bayelsa State) – Priority
1A. Hon Justice Biobele Georgewill (Rivers State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Adewale Abiru (Lagos State) – Priority
1A. Hon Justice Olubunmi Oyewole (Osun State) – Reserve
- Hon Jummai Sankey (Plateau State) – Priority
1A. Hon Justice Muhammad Ibrahim Sirajo (Plateau) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Stephen Adah (Kogi State) – Priority
2A. Hon. Justice Ridman Maiwada Abdullahi (Nassarawa State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Baba Idris (Niger State) – Priority
3A. Hon Justice Joseph Ikyegh (Benue State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani (Bauchi State) – Priority
1A. Hon Justice Abubakar Talba (Adamawa State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Muhammad Lawal Shuaibu (Jigawa State) – Priority
1A. Hon Justice Bello Aliyu (Zamfara State) – Reserve
- Hon Justice Abubakar Sadiq Umar (Kebbi State) – Priority
2A. Hon Justice Abdullahi Mahmud Bayero (Kano State) – Reserve
Note that, on the list, some of the nominees were tagged ‘Priority’, while others were tagged ‘Reserve’. It means that those are ‘reserve’ nominees are alternate nominees in case of any eventuality.