FLOOD: NSW SES Says Several Low Lying Streets Around Narrabeen Lagoon Are Currently Under Water

Following the record-breaking deluge of rainfall on April 5, in parts of south-west Sydney, the New South Wales NSW government has announced a disaster recovery package for more than a dozen flood-affected areas.

Emergency warnings had been issued out, even as flooding is still occurring.

NSW Premier Chris Minns warned that while there were blue skies across the state, flood waters were still on the rise.

NSW SES said that “several low lying streets around Narrabeen Lagoon are currently under water as the lagoon tries to exit out into a hazardous surf at the entrance”.

Report says Iin the 24 hours to 5am on April 7, the SES were called to 1877 incidents and performed 146 rescues across the state.

An emergency evacuation warning is still in place for residents in parts of Cumberland Reach, Sacksville, Gronos Point, Ebenezer and Leets Vale.

Those in parts of Agnes Banks, Freemans Reach, North of Bligh Park and western Richmond Lowlands were told to evacuate by the early hours of April 7.

Despite sunny and clear skies, Windsor is still experiencing moderate floods while Penrith, North Richmond, Sackville and Putty Road are seeing minor floods on April 7.

The SES have begun damage assessments in the Sydney Northern Beaches and Illawarra regions.

According to reports, significant damage was caused in parts of Illawarra, with 20 properties destroyed and six non-habitable.

Emergency workers will begin surveying damage west of Penrith and areas along the Hawkesbury Nepean on April 7. 

The Bureau of Meteorology said the swollen Hawkesbury, Nepean and Colo Rivers will begin to fall today and are expected to continue dropping into April 8.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *